Thursday, July 3, 2014

week 15.

It has been just over three months since Emmett's diagnosis. Although Emmett hasn't had much medically evident progress with his autism symptoms, I know he has learned many new things and has started to get used to the "new normal" in his little life. He has had a lot of adjusting to do and is cooperating nicely. Unfortunately, the adjustments have just begun and he will have many more once fall hits.
Personally, I have learned more about my son in the past three months than I have in the past three years. I have been reading, listening, watching, thinking constantly about him and his needs. I have also learned much more about myself as a mother. My understanding has stretched farther than ever before and the love I have for my kids grows deeper each day. It amazes me how my heart is able to keep opening up more and more and pour out more love for them.
This week was different from our usual schedule. Emmett had his first feeding therapy appointment at Children's. The team consisted of a dietitian, a nurse practitioner, a speech therapist, an occupational therapist, and a student volunteer. Just having that many people in the room was overwhelming enough. It took almost two hours and was a bit stressful for him because the team pushed him to do things with food that was uncomfortable for him. They didn't force him to eat anything; just pushed him a bit, then backed off. They tried to get him to try some new snacks and observed how he eats and how much he can tolerate having foods he doesn't like near him. The dietitian talked about what Emmett needs in his diet and how we can better get him those nutrients he is lacking. She also recommended ways we can help him become more comfortable with new foods. What they didn't explain to me is how to get Emmett to stop gagging on foods with texture. Maybe that will come at the next appointment ?
Feeding therapy will not happen each week. The nurse said she will most likely have Emmett come back for another appointment in three months or so. In the meantime, I am suppose to communicate his feeding needs with his two therapists. Because the feeding clinic involves a speech and occupational therapist, we could not see his regular therapists this week. Insurance would not allow all three in one week. Lame. However, Emmett did get to chat with them for a few minutes.    

No comments:

Post a Comment