Thursday, January 1, 2015

the month of december.

It's that time of year when we are busier and focused on other things! Unfortunately, I've been neglecting Emmett's blog. Again.
I did some thinking and I've decided it would be better if I made posts every other week instead of each week. I feel like if there hasn't been much to report in a week, I forget to write. If there's a period where Emmett is making a lot of progress, I will blog weekly. For now, twice a month will suffice.
I've also decided to add some photos now and then. He's too cute not to. :)

Occupational therapy has been going really well. Teanna is very talented and we are lucky to have her working with Emmett. She recently started doing more physical things with him, like climbing, jumping and balancing.
This exercise was difficult for Emmett. He couldn't step from bucket to bucket without Teanna's help. If he tried himself, he would step onto a bucket, step onto the mat, then step onto the next bucket. He couldn't grasp the concept of shifting his weight and hips to step from bucket-to-bucket.  
^^ doing well!
Teanna has also been working with Emmett on getting more comfortable with having objects in his mouth, like a toothbrush and utensils. These exercises are stressful for him, but he tries to cooperate as much as possible.
^^ trying to keep the toothbrush in his mouth for 5 full seconds at a time. at first he kept turning away.
^^ doing better!

Emmett's speech therapist at preschool, Emily, has been kind enough to send us weekly updates about how school is going. I love seeing these photos of him learning. :) 
^^ Emmett told Emily: "I made a castle with big blocks and little blocks." great sentence!
^^ the kids were learning about their bodies and they got to hear their own heartbeat. not quite sure Emmett knew what to think...
^^ in this photo, Emily said the kids were playing "restaurant" and Madison was taking Emmett's order. she said he ordered bread. :) making baby steps with socializing. :) 

*Two new announcements:
  • Emmett was recommended by Dr. Amy to start physical therapy. He has a PT evaluation at Children's on Jan. 8th. The evaluation will determine the type/how much PT he will need. Personally, I am not looking forward to adding more to his weekly load, but if it's necessary, so be it.
  • I received a call yesterday from Fraser offering Emmett a spot in their day-treatment program! (Fraser is the #1 treatment facility in MN specializing in autism). It's exciting because we have been waiting 9 months for this call, but overwhelming as well because it would be a major adjustment for Emmett. He would go to Fraser after preschool from 1:30-4:30, MWF. The day-treatment program focuses on life skills, socialization, and any other autism-specific challenges the child has. Day treatment does not replace therapy, so he would have that during the week as well. It would be a lot for my little guy and I can't help but feel worried. However, I know he would be in the best possible place. Both of his therapists think we should go ahead with it. I am talking with Fraser on Monday to give them my answer. I'm nervous!

^^ I found this poem and absolutely love it. it is a perfect definition of the relationship Emmett and I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment