Thursday, March 24, 2016

2 years post-diagnosis.

As I look over at my sweet little boy on the couch struggling with a cold, I remember today marks two years since Emmett was diagnosed with autism. I think about what has happened within those two years and I can't help but feel lucky and grateful. Matt and I have gone from hardly knowing anything about autism to making it an everyday part of our lives. And reading countless books and articles. And going to classes. And listening to speakers. Emmett has gotten many forms of therapy and has taken some big strides. He has also taken many baby steps. He has gone from not being able to tolerate going anywhere near a public restroom to going #2 in public. :) He can speak in full, detailed sentences, knows how to throw a ball correctly, can put on a jacket and slip shoes on by himself, can be in crowded rooms for longer than he used to, and can tolerate having messy hands (for a bit). These are all things he could not do two years ago. He can also answer simple open-ended questions.
The thing I am most grateful for during these last two years is that I can have a wonderful relationship with my son now because I understand him. I know how his brain works and what he struggles with. I understand his sensory and developmental challenges. I understand that there are things I can't mad about because he doesn't know any better. I know when to push him and when to back off. I no longer look at him frustrated because I understand my little buddy. That understanding has opened up many doors and has strengthened my relationship with him.

This does not mean I am no longer worried or stressed out about him. Did you know that mothers who have an autistic child can experience the same level of stress that combat soldiers do? Think about it. COMBAT SOLDIERS. Sounds a little intense, am I right? Kind of blows my mind. I can't tell if I've experienced that level of stress yet, or if I'm tolerating that stress better and therefore don't think it's that bad ?? Is that even possible? I know God will not give me more than I can handle, but I still question it.
Meltdowns are hard. At times they can be harder than tantrums because for Emmett they are usually silent, which means he won't communicate what is wrong.



At this point in time, here are the symptoms of autism that Emmett demonstrates:

Social differences
  • doesn't often have appropriate facial expressions
  • unable to perceive what others might be thinking or feeling by looking at their facial expressions
  • doesn't show empathy for others
  • uninterested in making friends
Communication differences
  • doesn't always respond to name being called but does respond to other sounds (like a car horn or dog bark)
  • mixes up pronouns
  • doesn't start or can't continue a conversation
  • has a good rote memory, especially for numbers, letters, songs, TV jingles
Behavioral differences
  • flaps hands, rocks, spins, sways, walks on toes
  • likes routines, order; has a hard time with change
  • obsessed with few/unusual activities, doing them repeatedly throughout the day
  • plays with parts of toys instead of the whole toy (this is getting better)
  • sensitive to smells, sounds, textures, touch
  • looks at objects from unusual angles
^^Emmett "hiding"
April is just around the corner. Don't forget to wear blue on April 2nd to support someone you know who has autism! If you pass by our house look for our blue porch light.:)
2015 Autism 5K Minneapolis, Minnesota
I will be posting on the team Emmett group on Facebook soon about the 5K details. Mark your calendars!


No comments:

Post a Comment